A look inside: TSTC hosts first Senior Day

By Amanda Sotelo, TSTC Staff

Marco Acuna, a senior at Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Memorial Early College High School, walked the halls of Texas State Technical College during the campus’ first Senior Day.

The 17-year-old said the event was a revelation and, as an aspiring engineer, he is considering TSTC as his first step toward a career.

“Taking a look into the programs TSTC offers has been awesome,” said Acuna. “The event has really opened my eyes to more opportunities and has given me a taste of college life.”

Acuna added, “I love the idea of getting hands-on experience at TSTC and gaining a true understanding of the field. TSTC is definitely an option.”

Acuna was one of close to 900 seniors from across the Rio Grande Valley and as far away as Waxahachie to attend Senior Day.

TSTC Director of Recruitment Melissa Morman said she was excited to hear positive feedback from students like Acuna and high school counselors because that means the event served its purpose.

“Our first Senior Day was a great success,” she said. “This event was designed to focus on giving students a better understanding of our college, our programs and what we offer. And it did just that.”

Morman added that TSTC hosted Senior Day in the fall to give high school seniors an opportunity to see the campus before it was time for them to make a college decision.

During Senior Day, high school counselors and their students participated in self-guided tours. They could explore the campus and focus on the programs they wanted to learn about, such as Computer Programming, Cybersecurity, Precision Machining Technology, Automotive Technology, and Architectural Design and Engineering Graphics.

Attendees were able to speak with program faculty, staff and students and experience hands-on activities related to the programs they visited.

Representatives from other TSTC departments, such as New Student Orientation, Student Life and Engagement, Veteran Services, Career Services, the Campus Store and the TSTC Cafe, were also available to answer questions.

“We hope everyone left with a new understanding of what TSTC is and what we offer,” said Morman. “We hope they see that our programs can open doors of opportunity and lead to great-paying careers.”

TSTC is already planning next year’s Senior Day. Morman said events like this are a step in the right direction when it comes to encouraging a postsecondary education and giving students more career possibilities.

Registration for Spring 2020 is currently underway.

For more information, visithttps://tstc.edu