Letters: Effective reporting

Investigative and local journalism are important components in our democracy for transparency and accountability. This February, I was able to attend two informative online events by the Texas Tribune on school choice and higher education funding in our state; these balanced debate videos are archived on their website for later viewing/reviewing.

On my walk on the UTRGV Edinburg campus, I stopped at a kiosk to read in the student newspaper, “The Rider,” the local judge’s view of our new border czar appointed by our recently reelected governor. Again, reporting included the governor’s viewpoint as well as our county judge; balanced reporting for critical thinking to inform the campus community.

On a recent Sunday, in one of your front-page stories, I read about zoning and planning in Edinburg near the intersection of Sprague and McColl roads. Residents voiced their concerns at a City Council meeting about new planned multifamily housing near their neighborhood. Reasons against it were: traffic congestion, inadequate roads, crowded classrooms and suggestions for “single use zoning” rather than “mixed use zoning.” The article also expounded on the concept of “affordable housing” perspectives such as locals’ viewpoint versus people moving into our city.

Edinburg residents banded together, and a group of five or six homeowners’ associations that had fought this type of development before were able to organize to express their views to the current City Council members against multifamily development and the City Council listened and voted for the current resident neighborhoods. Grassroots movements do work!

Local reporting in multiple media (virtual and print) give citizens the opportunity to view what is or can happen in our RGV community. Bravo to state, county, city and campus reporting!

Diane Teter

Edinburg

Do not take

responsibility

I have come to notice that Ruben Navarrette always seems to side with Mexico. Why doesn’t he leave beautiful San Diego and move to Tijuana?

What a stupid comment that Americans need to take responsibility for their children’s bad decisions when it comes to using illegal drugs like fentanyl and stop blaming Mexican cartels. They need to be truthful with talking to their kids.

The real truth is that after hearing military majors and generals all say we could stop this drug problem once and for all if we just sent in our Navy Seals to wipe out all these cartels it would end, there are too many government officials on the take from cartels. That’s the truth, Mr. Navarrette.

Bill Rouillier

McAllen

Artwork

praised

Check out the amazing artistic works of McAllen school students on the Nikki Rowe Boulevard walkway! Trash cans, storage containers, etc., used so magnificently as canvas. The colors and drawings of plants and animals including sea animals so characteristically common of our terrain and vegetation.

The array of colors in the paintings is awesome! What a tremendous talent. So proud of our students!

They used “Keep McAllen Beautiful” as their theme.

Mary Martinez

McAllen

LETTERS — Limit letters to 300 words; all letters are subject to editing. Mail: P.O. Box 3267, McAllen, TX78502-3267; Email: [email protected]