First significant cold front of fall on its way to Rio Grande Valley

You might want to pull out those blankets Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, as a cold front making its way into the Rio Grande Valley will bring overnight temperatures into the 50s and lower 60s.

Meteorologists said this is the most significant cold front bringing fall like temperatures to the Valley, and the front will not only bring cooler temperatures but heavy rain as well.

“It is expected to be a wet front,” said Laura Farris, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Brownsville/Rio Grande Valley. “We are concerned about the overall rainfall amounts.”

The cold front is still expected to push its way through the area Monday night into Tuesday. The overnight lows on Monday will be in the 60s.

Rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are anticipated with the rain forecasted to begin Monday. There’s a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms Monday and an 80% chance of showers and thunderstorms Monday night. The rain will continue into Tuesday at a 70% chance. The showers should taper off Tuesday night at 30%.

Tuesday’s highs will be in the lower to mid-70s across the Valley.

“It should be pretty rainy, colder air should be moving in, so temperatures won’t warm up a whole lot throughout the day,” Farris said.

The cooler temperatures “will be a nice relief,” she said.

Farris said although another cold front passed through the Valley earlier, it only brought drier air.

“This will be the first bigger cold front of the season,” she added.

The daytime temperatures for Tuesday and Wednesday will be in the 70s. They will creep up back into the low 80s on Thursday and Friday.

But before the cold front arrives, Farris said the Valley is going to have to deal with warm conditions with “feels like” temperatures on Sunday of about 100 degrees.