‘Taste of fall’ like temperatures coming to the Rio Grande Valley

Get ready for some fall like temperatures this weekend, as a cold front will pass through the Rio Grande Valley.

Although it will be hot and humid on Friday with the highs in the 90s, the highs on Saturday will be in the upper 70s and low 80s, but you will be able to feel the cooler temperatures Saturday evening with the lows in the 50s and 60s, said Angelica Soria, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Brownsville.

“This is actually a better cold front than it was a couple of weeks ago. In this one you will actually feel the difference. It will be a lot stronger,” she said.

The cold front is coming from a mass of cold air that is bringing snow and frigid temperatures to other parts of the nation, Soria said, and though there will be no snow here Valley residents will definitely notice the change in daytime and overnight temperatures.

“Definitely by Saturday evening it is going to feel very nice,” Soria said. “It will be the first taste of fall.”

The cold front will also bring some rain with it but not the amount of rain that affected parts of the Valley earlier this month where some areas received anywhere from 4 to 10 inches of rain. “We do not expect to have anything like that.”

Soria said the rain will start Friday evening into the night and will continue early Saturday morning, but then the rain shall taper off.

There’s a 20% chance of thunderstorms Friday in Brownsville, a 30% chance of thunderstorms for Harlingen and a 40% chance of thunderstorms in McAllen.

On Friday night, there’s a 40% chance of thunderstorms in Brownsville and Harlingen and a 60% of thunderstorms in McAllen.

On Saturday, it will be partly sunny and breezy with highs near 78 degrees. Saturday night’s lows will be around 58 to 60 degrees. Sunday’s highs will be around 80 degrees.