Pharr resident who shot at police during mental health crisis held on $220K in bonds

Courtesy Photo

Pharr police have charged the 38-year-old man they arrested after a nearly three-hour standoff a week ago with aggravated assault against a public servant and interfering with a police service animal.

The incident occurred at approximately 7:46 a.m. last Tuesday as power outages, boil water notices and freezing weather beset the Rio Grande Valley.

At around 11 a.m., a Pharr SWAT team used a can of tear gas causing Conrado Gomez to leave the residence in the 900 block of East Lucas Avenue where he was arrested.

Police say a family disturbance call precipitated the incident.

The responding officer, Ricardo Monreal, arrived and found Gomez’s wife pointing at the front of the residence where Gomez was standing inside the threshold wearing a light-colored shirt and dark pants while holding a rifle, according to a probable cause affidavit.

“The Defendant then raised the weapon at waist level and fired one time in the officer’s direction missing him and striking his police vehicle which was occupied by a Pharr Police K9 ‘Fonzie’ service animal,” the affidavit stated.

Police say the officer took cover and Gomez retreated inside the home.

“Negotiations took place to get the subject to surrender for a few hours and he did not comply and continued to periodically shoot his rifle while inside the home,” the affidavit stated.

At the time, Pharr Police Chief Andrew Harvey said an officer who is part of the mental health unit and trained to deal with people in crisis situations negotiated with Gomez.

“He came outside, he ran back inside, and the SWAT team did use a can of tear gas to get him out. But he came out immediately and he was detained,” Harvey said.

Authorities were able to arrest Gomez without death or injury, the chief said, adding that police were focused on getting Gomez the help he needed.

“We’re really focusing on getting him the help first and then we’ll see if there’s going to be any charges filed. But right now, we’re really more interested in getting him the right help that he needs,” Harvey said last week.

Gomez remained jailed Monday on $220,000 in bonds.